Now that we are in the heart of Fall; all the warm and cozy foods are in full swing. Comfort food is typically thought of as unhealthy but I am hear to give you a twist on one of my all time favorite soups: Chicken Wild Rice.
I love getting recipes and finding ways to put a healthier twist on them. A typical wild rice soup uses cream for the base which is what adds the most calories and fat. When I am making soups that require a thickening agent, I just use olive oil and whole wheat flour to make a roux. Below you will find my go to recipe.
- full of antioxidants, healthy fats to lower cholesterol, promote brain health
Whole Wheat Flour, Wild Rice, and Quinoa
- high in antioxidants
- high fiber content which keeps your digestion smooth and helps lower cholesterol.
- Contains essential minerals which give you energy and nurture your bones.
- Essential vitamins for overall health and immunity.
- Protein; Quinoa is considered a complete protein as contains all 9 nine essential amino acids
What is your favorite recipe with a healthy twist? Or do you need Ideas for altering a recipe? Let us know!! Enjoy!
Kerra Pietsch, LPTA, C.F.N.C.
Andover Physical Therapy
PTC_therapy November 7th, 2015
Posted In: General