February is American Heart Month. Here are the top 5 tips to keep your heart healthy to celebrate this month and all year long!
- Exercise! ACSM recommends at least 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise at least 5 days/week for a total of 150 minutes per week.
- Avoid smoking or secondhand smoke. If you smoke, use one of many options to help you quit. Also try to avoid secondhand smoke if at all possible. Smoking and secondhand smoke put a lot of stress on the lungs, which puts increased stress on the heart.
- Manage Stress. Take a few minutes to decompress and de-stress. In this busy world it’s hard to ﬁnd time to unplug and take a few minutes for yourself, but your heart will thank you for it!
- Drink in moderation. If you choose to consume alcohol, limit yourself to 1-2 drinks per day. Moderate alcohol consumption is considered 2 drinks/day for men and 1 drink/day for women.
- Sleep! Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep per night. Lack of sleep can cause increased stress on the heart, increase blood pressure and calcium in the arteries.
Heart Disease is still the #1 cause of death in the United States. Keep your heart healthy with these tips, and don’t forget to get yearly physicals to guarantee heart health.
What are some of your favorite ways to maintain heart health? Let us know by commenting below!
Rebecca Varoga, PT, DPT
Physical Therapy Consultants, Inc.
Dustin Eslinger February 28th, 2018
Posted In: General
Leave a Reply