New Years Resolutions for 2017 are going strong! I love what enthusiasm resolutions bring. It’s a time for individuals to take a positive outlook on changing a trait or behavior that is less than desirable.
New Years Resolutions are great but the statistics are not in their favor. In fact, it’s said that 75-80% of resolutions FAIL! WHAT?!!
Ok, seriously I am not surprised because I have been in the pool of failed attempts to make a new years resolution successful and then end up coming up short. BUT… I never consider those failed attempts as failures as much as I look at what I have learned through each experience and each year, I get closer and closer to reaching my goals. Some goals we make for ourselves in life are stepping stones of a journey that we are on.
Let’s get more personal!
I am a mother of 3 little kids (ages 5, 3 and 11 months). For the last 5 years, I have some how managed to put myself in the back of the health and wellness bus. AND TRUST ME WHEN I SAY… My weight has paid for it. So yes, I am on the band wagon of becoming healthier in 2017 and finding more time for myself to meet my fitness goals. Not only do I know that I know, that I know that this is what my entire family needs but I am a health care worker. I want to set a good example for my family but also for my patients. It’s that “practice what you preach” mentality.
Time and time again, I keep hearing people remind me of that 75-80% fail statistic. Tell those people to SHHHHHHHHHHHH and listen up!! I have some tips to share that will help make your resolution a huge success!
- Set GOALS. You’ve all heard this before right! That’s because it works! Make sure your goals are measurable or have a time frame to them. Also make sure those goals MOTIVATE you!
- Make a PLAN that aligns with your GOALS. If you goal is to lose 10 lbs in 60 days, what are you going to do to make sure you reach that goal? Eat clean? Stop drinking pop? Come up with the plan!
- Take Action! You have set your goals, you have a solid plan in place so now it’s time to DO IT!
- Throw away the excuses and FIND YOUR REASONS! We all can come up with a million excuses as to why we shouldn’t do something. Being a busy mom of 3 is an excuse.. Being healthier for my family to be a better wife, mother and health care provider is my REASON.
- REMEMBER your WHY! and write it down! It’s easy in day to day hustle to get caught up and forget why we made a resolution to begin with. Write down why you are starting a resolution.
There is never a quick fix for anything. It takes time, dedication and hard work to kick old bad habits to the curb and adopt new healthier, positive habits. But these 5 steps will set you up for the greatest success!!
Share your 2017 resolutions with us! Comment below on how you are going to make this year, the BEST YEAR YET!
Jackie Giese, LPTA and mom. wife, daughter ready to ROCK 2017
Physical Therapy Consultants Inc. January 5th, 2017
Posted In: General