Happy 4th of July! The Independence Day holiday usually means days full of BBQs, sun, family and friends, and time spent on the water. With increased lake and boat activity, there is an increase in accidents and injuries. Here are 5 tips for a safe 4th of July weekend:
- Make sure to have enough life jackets for everyone aboard your boat. MN law requires children under 10 to wear a life jacket at all times. A life jacket must be readily accessible for all other passengers aboard boats (this includes canoes, kayaks, and stand-up paddle boards).
- Be aware of your surroundings. The holiday weekend increases activity on lakes and rivers. Swim, boat, and play responsibility. Watch out for swimmers and other boaters, especially in crowded areas.
- Drink Responsibly. The risk of boating accidents significantly increases when alcohol is involved. The legal limit for operating a boat is the same as operating a car (Blood alcohol content of 0.08 or greater). Drivers can be cited for a BWI (Boating while impaired)
- Apply sunscreen. This tip applies to more than just people spending time on the water. If you spend time in the sun, apply sunscreen and reapply every 2-4 hours. This will help prevent nasty sunburns!
- Watch the weather. Weather can change quickly, especially when on the water. If you start to see dark clouds, or if you hear thunder or see lightening get off the water immediately.
I hope these tips help you have a safe and fun 4th of July weekend! Enjoy the sunshine and time spent with family and friends!
Rebecca Varoga, PT, DPT
Isanti Physical Therapy
Physical Therapy Consultants Inc. June 28th, 2017
Posted In: General